Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Medieval Dinners

There are so many things that I'm excited to try my hand at that now that I've returned to the current middle ages.  The trick is that I've also got a mundane life that needs tending as well, so I can't simply rush headlong into too many projects at once.  

My solution for my cooking interest is that Sunday dinner is now a meal from the past.  There are many great period recipes online and I thought for our first Sunday dinner, I'd try something pretty simple - the basic meat pie.

The recipe came from the Boke of Gode Cookery.com.  It is essentially a list of options to choose from to make a filling.  These were the choices I made and the amounts of the various ingredients.  This was very tasty and would be good cold as well as hot.  Anything with raisins and dates makes me think of fall through, so this would be a much better dinner for right when the leaves are starting to change.

Beef and Pork Pie
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 c raisins
1 lb ground pork
1 lb minced beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup stock
4 dates, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp clove
4 egg yolks
1 9" pie crust with top crust

Soak raisins in wine until plump, anywhere from an hour to overnight. Sauté pork, beef and onion until onion is translucent. Add the stock, dates, soaked raisins and wine, salt, and spices. Let filling reduce and thicken slightly. Remove from heat and let cool. Add egg yolks, stirring well after each and put filling into a prepared, uncooked pie crust. Top with remaining pie crust and bake at 350 for 45 minutes until crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment