Sunday, September 23, 2012

Scroll the First

There is a scribal largess and competition being held at Crown in Endewearde next month.  The idea is that scribes of the kingdom create blank scrolls to donate to the Crown for emergency last-minute scroll giving and there is a competition for best in category.  I haven't done a scroll in over 20 years and I've never done a scroll for kingdom use, so this is my first attempt at creating something worthy of giving.

The artwork for this comes from an assortment of sources across a couple of centuries.  The Aberdeen Bestiary and the The Alphonso Psalter plus assorted vinework and drolleries.  It's not really a good example of a period piece, but it was amusing to do and I think it has a certain charm, especially if the recipient is someone who's interest lies away from scribe stuff.

The gilding on the piece was certainly the trickiest bit.  Lacking a good gilding size, or really any knowledge whatsoever about how to do this kind of thing, I looked up directions for how to do it.  There aren't any really clear directions, but I did find a sizing recipe that is Elmer's glue, water, and a little gouache so I could see where it was on the paper.  I used an archival bookbinder's PVA instead of Elmer's and hopefully it will withstand the test of time.  Once it was mixed up, I painted it onto the areas where I wanted the leaf to go and let it dry.  Once dry, I "activated" it by breathing on it, like you would breathe on a window to fog it up, and pressed the leaf to it.  The leaf I'm using came from my grandmother's art supplies - about 30 years ago.  It's certainly older than I am and it's the loose stuff which wants to float around at the slightest hint of a breeze.  This was not an easy task, but it turned out alright in the end for a first go.  Hopefully I can pick up some tips and tricks to make this process easier.

The rest of the piece is done in Windsor Newton and Holbein gouaches.  I signed it with a crane to represent me and a black martlet to represent House Fulton.  It was cute and fun and I'm totally hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment