Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scroll the Second

Now that I've stretched my hand and learned that I can do scroll work, my second effort is a little less scattered.  It's based on this 16th century Exchequer File from the reign of Henry VIII. It is an account of tackle and other material provided by John Hopton, a bishop of Norwich, for the King’s ships.

I'm still using my homemade Elmer's sizing for the gilding.  The rest of the piece was done with Windsor Newton Spectrum Red, Primary Blue, and Permanent White gouaches and Holbein Yellow Ochre and Jet Black gouches.  Still using Nana's loose leaf gold and it's still a bear to work with.  Gold flakes everywhere!

I'm keeping with the crane and martlet signature on my scrolls.  I like the idea of signing them with marks instead of with a name.

I like how this came out and hopefully the recipient will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment