Sunday, April 7, 2013

Birthday Gift for Lady Elgiva Wilhelm

Lady Elgiva's birthday was recently and to celebrate her day, I made this girdle book just for her.  The book is a standard sew signature type binding.  I had wanted to do the cover in leather, but I didn't have any thin enough nor do I own the kind of knife used to thin leather out for book covers.  Instead, I opted for a brown suede fabric that from a distance looks reasonably like leather.  Hopefully Lady Elgiva will like it well enough to forgive me the anachronism.

Once the book was done, I thought I'd decorate the front pages with her arms and a bit of colorful vinework.  I Googled the German for "This book belongs to Lady Elgiva Wilhelm, creator of beautiful things" and put that in a ribbon across the pages. 

Here's hoping she can make use of it for many notes about clever things.

No comments:

Post a Comment