Sunday, January 6, 2013

Huva or St. Birgitta's Cap

Finally finished up my huva thus bringing my garb one step closer to being better.  The hardest part of this process was the pattern, which turned out to be not hard at all with a talented friend like Lady Elgiva available.  She basically held fabric up to my head and sketched out the curve and voila!  Cap Parts!

The whole piece is hand sewn, which I'm quite proud of, and if you're interested in making one for yourself, the Maniacal Medievalist is the site you need.  She breaks down the documentation and then takes you step by step through the process of making one and how to wear it.  There are even links for the interlaced herringbone stitch in the center of the piece, should you decide to make one with embroidery in the middle.

Of course, my modern short haircut means I'll have to have a filler at the bottom to get it to sit right on my head and I still have to find good veil material to finish off the look for fancy occasions.  It was super easy to do though and is quite comfortable to wear.  I highly recommend this project for any of the 13th and 14th century SCA ladies who are looking to add headgear to their garb.

No comments:

Post a Comment