Thursday, October 12, 2017

A Scroll for a Count - Part The Fifth

If I've set this up correctly, you should be reading this post after this "scroll" has gone out in court, but I'll have been working on it for a month and a half.  This is my journey for the Count scroll for His Excellency, Count Ioannes.

Time gets a little wonky here.  I'm typing these as I work and occasionally going back in to merge posts together.  If any of my timing seems off, this is probably why.  Time travel is tricky business.

My days now consist of snapping tiles and gluing tiles.  I'm using the same Weldbond glue that I sealed the board with, but now I'm working with a ratio of 3/4 glue to 1/4 water in my glue jar.  I apply the glue with a small foam brush onto the area of the board I'm working with and then glue down those tiles.  Then I cut more tiles and glue more tiles.  I have started using my other primary tool in my tile-cutting arsenal:  The Nippers. I'm sure these have a proper name, but they basically bite off chunks of tile to adjust the shapes as needed.  I can turn small squares into small triangles.

In order to make this process easier on her hands, Gail (you remember Gail, my mother in law that makes mosaics) has bolted a vice onto a swivel stool and then clamped The Nippers onto it.  This way you can kinda put your weight behind the nipping rather than relying on hand strength to do it.  This is good, because even with the Nipper/vice setup, my hands are pretty sore.  I may need to take a couple of days off and rest.  The ache woke me up in the middle of the night last night.  Here is my progress thusfar:

September 1:


September 2:

 I've set myself a goal of getting the tile part done by October 1.  If I can do that, it will give me almost a week to grout and edge and let stuff dry.  34 more days until it makes its journey south.
I am sore and nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment