Friday, October 13, 2017

A Scroll for a Count - Part the Sixth... and then some

If I've set this up correctly, you should be reading this post after this "scroll" has gone out in court, but I'll have been working on it for a month and a half.  This is my journey for the Count scroll for His Excellency, Count Ioannes.

Time gets a little wonky here.  I'm typing these as I work and occasionally going back in to merge posts together.  If any of my timing seems off, this is probably why.  Time travel is tricky business.

Scritch.  Snap.  Ca-chunk.  Glue.
Scritch.  Snap.  Ca-chunk.  Glue.
Scritch.  Snap.  Ca-chunk.  Glue.  

September 12: 



September 13: 



September 14: 

 

September 16: 

September 17:


Just adding photos to this one post because really, not a lot has changed in what I'm doing from day to day.  I'm getting really good at cutting tiles.  There's a bit of finesse to it.  I'm not using the ruler any more, but I am pressing harder with the scoring wheel.  Placement of the tiles in the snap cutter is important.  I've found that the tile needs to be in just far enough to get a good grip and the metal brace needs to be over the center score or the tile will shatter rather than break.  I'm starting to get nervous about the beard and face.  If it isn't just right, it's gonna look ridiculous and embarrass us both.  Also, I'm concerned with my tiles being two sizes.  I went with a larger size for big color areas, but I need to make smaller tiles to properly do the face.  All the mosaics I've looked at up to this point have had consistent tesserae throughout the piece.  I am working under a pretty sharp time constraint though and larger tiles fill space faster.  I think I've reached the halfway point.  I always know the halfway point because I look at the work and think, "What am I doing?!  This is terrible!!"  Experience has taught me though that the only way out is forward.  Face starts tomorrow.  Gulp.





No comments:

Post a Comment